Monday, November 22, 2010

¡MovieReview! Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

SCOTT-PILGRIM-vs-THE-WORLD

Synapsis: This dude, Scott Pilgrim [played perfectly by Michael Cera] begins dating this chick, Ramona [played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead] and everything is wonderful' until Scott finds out that in order to stay with her, he’ll have to defeat (defeat, not fight) her seven evil exes. Without seeing any production photos, sketches, or other bits of information about the film, would you go see it on a whims? Be honest. Ok, my turn:

No. I would not have up and seen this flick –BUT- that is a ridiculous question because no one in their right senses goes to see a movie without ever seeing or hearing anything else about the film. I mean, you don’t walk into a video store and look at blank words about the film! Hell nah! You look at the pictures the post-production team placed creatively on the back of the cassette! And yes! I am talking about VHS rentals! why? because they had the TWO extra pictures on the sides, not just the lousy low-bit picture now a-days on DVDs and Blue-Ray features.

But I digress; I apologize.

To review this film, I will liken the analysis to that of discussion topics I have had with one of the regulars at my store:

  1. Geekdom
  2. Characters
  3. Subtleties

Geekdom noun \`gēk-dəm\ [this could have been noted as “geekiness” or “geekness”, but I think “Geekdom” sounds more ‘geek-propriate’] : First and first most (yes, I said it), this movie tackles everything I was passionate about as a child and still passionate about to til this day- VIDEO GAMES AND CHICKS AND COMIC BOOKS; in that order. This calls for a

¡¡¡GEEKDOM BREAKKKDOOOOWWWN!!!

Video games: The seven evil exes, in design, are fashioned as the the first is the weed-out bad guy and the rest get harder from there. Also, when they are defeated, they turn to coins [BIG shout-out to Mario and Zelda]. Upon turning into coins, the hero is rewarded points, and those points are awarded on level of difficulty and combinations. This tickled my fancy far beyond any 3D video game system will ever. Not to mention the fact that everyone has always wanted to know what would happen if they got into a fight in the video game world. Scott does this and does this well. Whence a bad-guy is defeated in the video game world, they SHOULD turn blink red to show progress [though this trend died quickly in the early 2000’s] and when they are defeated, you SHOULD hear a resounding and epic “ K.O.!”. And this happens and it is great.

CHICKS: The girls are quite cute in the movie, so, well played Casting Crew and Mister Director [Edgar Wright]! And don’t even get me started about Ramona- when she pulls out the Thor-like digihammer to defend Scott from a crazed ex. Scott’s ex in the movie, Knives Chau played by Ellen Wong, also plays the adorable and confused, naive stalker-ex-that-loves-the-band kind of chick and she’s cuUuUuute! So, chicks in this movie: thumbs up. Next subject.

Comic Books: Scott is based off a comic series by Bryan Lee O’Malley, so there is that. Also, the fact that the action in the movie is highly characteristic of comics with the high-flying attacks, mega-punches, and mondo-moves. I also really enjoyed that fact that the movie just took off. Literally, Scott begins the quest for Ramona by launching himself upwards to the first ex. The moves and the action sequences remind me of the comics I grew up loving and still love to this day. Plus, it was just intense to see how Scott just naturally had these awesome abilities. He didn’t learn to fight and there was no montage. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a good montage, but I think one in this film would have tainted it a bit. Lastly, no one knows how in the hell these people developed these fighting abilities- and that is brilliant. Not to mention there is only one dude that actually has stated powers, the rest are just people with crazy abilities. Lucas Lee, played by the up-and-coming Steve Rogers (Captain America) Chris Evans and Todd, played by Brandon Routh [was a one-time Superman] both show a really interesting and creative adaptation of this. I’m not telling how and what, so go watch it. Finally (truly lastly finally) there were a couple of spots here and there that only a geek would notice involving comic books, primarily the usage of two superheroes. If you DON’T spot them, just let me know and I’ll point them out to you. [note: dual montage clips. CLICK THEM BOTH]

Ultimately, there were multiple aspects of the movie that tickled me allll sorts of pink because of its 112minute patronage to all things great on this Earth.

Characters noun \ˈker-ik-tərs\: I haven’t really said this for while about any one movie, but the entire cast was very well-rounded and worked with each other incredibly. Scott’s crew, the exes, and even the background people were incredible. I especially love Young Neil. Once you see the movie, you’ll know what’s up. But seriously, the characters and the actors who portrayed them were awesome, as the acting was very done and everyone maintained a certain tone to it- serious, yet quirky and smart-assy [i.e. Kim, played by Alison Pill], which made the movie just that much funnier. and enjoyable. Characters to watch and enjoy: Wallace [Kieran Culkin], Young Neil [Johnny Simmons], and Todd [Brandon Routh].

Subtleties (subtlety) noun \ˈsə-təl-tē\: It mostly has to do with the quips and the dialogue, but there are multitudes of subtle ‘here-theres'’ that you’re going to have to watch it. It’s really hard to describe the subtleties of the film not because there are so many or for any reason other than, well, they were subtle. Many people might not pick up on them because I am entertained by subtleties and their silent, often un-picked up genius. It’s just how I am, though I really hope by telling you that the film is riddled in quips and intelligent banter and creative direction, you’ll really try looking for them. Just know that they were one of the biggest influences on my strong liking of this film.

Overall: Very good flick. Other people will say it’s a movie to the testament of character or because they were a fan of the comic book, what have you. As a geek and a dude who likes the subtle things in life, I found this movie to be highly enjoyable. Scott Pilgrim brings to screen any fantastic daydreams I had as a kid and it’s because of this, I connected with this film. I felt…something…something great- such as laying in bed watching the film with your best friend (and in this instance, my significant other Sarah). All in all, if you were at all interested in how your life would be lived as a comic book hero, video game protagonist, or just some dude who fell in love with a purple-haired chicka, check out Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It'll either make you want to play video games or write a blog about telling other people to play video games after watching it.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World [5 High-Fives]

Starring Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Ellen Wong

¡¡¡DO IT!!!

1 comment:

Cam McGregor said...

Dude, I finally got this movie downloaded and watched. I totally agree! 5 high fives: I LOVED it! That's saying something too because I'm generally not a Michael Cera fan, but no one else could have played this part.

That being said, I love the shoutouts to the video games, particularly the flashing red (I'd forgotten this actually happened at one point), the KO and the coins. So amazing.

I, however, was never a comic book reader, so many of the comic book references and subtleties were over my head, what WERE those two things you were talking about?

Great characters too. I particularly found Wallace very funny. I was skeptical what with him being related to that unknown, Michael Jackson-loving, Home Alone kid (though Kieran too, was in Home Alone), but this kid did it well.

I'm a bit sad that it didn't do better in the theatres, but that's the price a movie like this pays when it caters to a very specific audience.

Loved the movie, loved the review and I miss old school video games. They were magical.