Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Upsides to Insomnia

I've had a few nights of insomnia within the last couple of weeks and as I've been laying in bed, I decided that I am not just idly lie down and and waste my time. So I decided to pick up a show that my friend Sabrina gave me a heads up on.

Nip/Tuck to the rescue.

For those who haven't heard of it, the premise is two plastic surgeons in South Miami struggle with the true balance of happiness and morality, ethics and honesty--through their patients. What is most intriguing is the doctors seemingly live their lives as if they are not infallible, but more right than wrong. The main characters breakdown to this:
  • The doctors [Sean McNamara-the pushover- & Christian Troy- the narcissistic predator]
  • The familiy [Julia and Matt McNamara]
  • The patients [mainly Kimber Henry and Sophia Lopez]
  • The bad guys [namely Merriel the rival surgeon and...someone else, I can't remember yet]
And because I don't like summaries and I've never enjoyed writing those papers in school, I'm just going to say the points that I think make it worth while [CAUTION: Possible spoiler alert]

Spiritual infidelity: Chrits (spelled incorrectly on purpose)--this is rampant. I don't know if you can call Christian's sex addicted personality infidelity, but certainly his obsession with Sean's wife is; Sean's affair with one of his patients (not telling who); Julia's lust for her much younger classmate; and Matt's obsession with having threesomes with his ex-lesbian girlfriend AND her lover, well, they are. It's that sort of theme, plot, set-up that you DEMAND something, one way or the other. I can't help but want Christian and Julia to get it on and I can't help but want Sean to get busted HARDCORE (see, one way or the other).

Spiritual effed-up ness: Yes. Yes, and yes. I am trying not to swear, so I said that, but at the same time- yes it gets extremely messed up. It's not nearly as loopy as Lost, but it still gets crazy. There are guys coming out of the accent-closet (some guy fakes a British accent), there are plastic surgeons going after leaders of the Catholic church with scalpels, and you have plastic surgeons trading girlfriends for Lamborghini's. It sounds mundane and not as interesting as other shows, like Wipeout and Futurama, but it's helllllllla catchy because of how you think these people SHOULD have common sense, should have morals and ethics being who they are but NO, NO there are NO morals and less ethics than before. For instance: guy sexes girl, dumps girl, takes girl back, sexes girl again, trades girl for car, girl comes back to him with knife, turns mental and starts drawing over his body with lipstick pretending to play doctor--all while in the just about nude--and I can't make this up, I wouldn't make this up. I'll say this, though:

Dubbayou. Tee. Eff.

In any case, check it out. All I've mentioned has JUST happened in the first 9 episodes. As I "speak", I'm 1:40 seconds away from the end of episode 9. And to think, there are 4 more episodes in this season, with 5 more seasons after. Good lord, insomnia couldn't be better!

well, except some Call of Duty and Mountain Dew.

Hup! Consider the gaming...begun.

No comments: