Sunday, August 15, 2010

Say-What Sunday: Where Carlton got his grooves

Carlton Banks, circa 1990's NBC television

This will be a quick post, but I was watching some funny commercials via YouTube and one popped up that caught my eye. It was the 1983 Pepsi commercial featuring The Jackson 5, moreover the commercial featured Michael Jackson who rewrote "Billie Jean" to the sound of "You're the New Generation" (as part of Pepsi's 'Pepsi Generation' campaign). Even MOREover, the commercial featured a young Alfonso Ribeiro aka Carlton Banks, as a young Michael Jackson tribute artist complete with the red jacket and glove. I will say this: the kids got moves, as apparent in his famous "Carlton Dance" [click for video]. It just so happened that I noticed at the end of the commercial, the starstruck boy-o is waving goodbye to the Jackson 5 and he had the oh-so-familiar face and I say this proudly- I've seen enough Fresh Prince to know Carlton ANYWHERE.

So here it is- for all of us who were born after the glorious creation of this commercial, I present: Michael Jackson ft. Alfonso Ribeiro in "You're the New Generation".

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! All....48 minutes.

No comments: